26 July 2011 by romanin
Homemade Soy Milk
these days, it seems like soy milk, almond milk, all that lactose-intolerant milk is “all the rage…” while some of the non-milk milk is easier to just buy at the store, you don’t always have to spend a fortune to buy that “organic” “all-natural” stuff. you can just make it all natural and organic yourself by making it at home! it’ll save you money too.
i made soy milk this morning…it wasn’t the first time, but each time i make it, it’s a big ordeal. here’s the process (simple, but involved):
1. soak the soy beans
2. in a blender, blend/liquefy soy beans and water (1 cup soy beans to 2-3 cups of water)
3. using cheese cloth, strain soy milk from mash*
4. bring the soy milk to a rolling boil and remove from heat
* if you save the soy mash, you can make a loaf of bread (or two), you can make Chinese style savory crepes, the possibilities are endless! i’m even trying to see if i can make a facial treatment with the mash…
so as you can see, though the process is not too long, it is an involved process that takes time.
just make sure that when you’re boiling the soy milk, you don’t leave to do some like sewing in the basement because when you forget about the boiling soy milk, it boils over (like cow’s milk) and just makes a huge mess…i will not include a picture because it would discourage you from making homemade soy milk
Summer Rainbow Salad
this was cost-efficient and easy to put together.
Summer Rainbow Salad
1 can black beans
1 cup green beans (fresh), diced
1 med- sized tomato
1/2 can corn niblets (unsweetened)
1-1 1/2 cup smoked turkey ham (diced)
1/2 onion (diced)
1-2 cloves garlic
2-3 T. rice vinegar
salt and pepper
1. Combine black beans, green beans, tomato, corn, turkey ham, onion and garlic. Mix thoroughly.
2. Add 2 T rice vinegar (more if desired) and salt & pepper to taste.
3. Chill for at least 2-3 hours and then serve chilled.
Serve with carbonated fruit juice/soda. Follow with Baking with Basil’s Chocolate Toffee Coffee Cookies! Makes a great summer light dinner.